Let’s start todays message with a re-referencing of challenges. Let’s consider calling them check points. An opportunity to address how we are, how what we are engaged in achieving is going & a spot to creatively resolve for more ease, better outcomes & stamina of mindset. Over the last 3 decades I have had an office where I see clients & a private office in my house. Below you will find some tips & tricks for helping us keep that stamina mindset & creative resolution working healthily.
Most importantly, in the beginning, you will be interrupted, especially if you have kids at home. This is okay, if you allow yourself to start with this as part of the ‘routine’ of working from home, it will make the entire day & your focus remain flexible & attentive. It is also a very good idea to within parameters to let kids have longer time on devices, get some things themselves, for example already cut up snacks in lunch boxes in the fridge or from the dining table. Tactile activities will engage children for longer, from helping to sort washing to crafts with paint & pipe cleaners. Water play, if your child has no allergies, adding food colouring to water in the bath can be fun & relieve stress to play in no time. Set up a work space for them, within sight of where you are working & they can draw while you email. Give your self a chance, if it gets hectic, take a few minutes, reset & go again. Also, make the most of nap times depending on their age & high chairs are great for working with Mum & Dad, while not being under foot. Be creative around this & have the older kids give some ideas, I always found good balance when I included the kids in resolving lengthy time allocations, it makes it so much easier.
With considerations to ages within the house the following are suggestions or start points for what may add to ease of work in your home.
- Create literal boundaries to support switching from home to work mode. I like to shut all bedroom doors.
- If you start your work day with a coffee or tea at your desk, do this at home. Even if it goes cold in my case.
- Piano music is great for focus.
- If kids are watching their shows, agree to a volume limit.
- For phone calls, have kids play off device. This may be setting up a tea party for after the meeting.
- Plastic table cloths are great on the dinner table, kids can mark it up with pens and paint & you get to wipe or hose it down, or recycle after.
- Ask other parents for app’s or show ideas, you may find a couple of gems. Share these with your co-workers. Find some old clothes & let the kids play dress up.
- Keep chores to a minimum, during work hours. Sit facing the door. Sit where you can see outside.
- No netflix for you.
- Walk outside in your yard bare foot, even for a couple of minutes or take the call with you. It is grounding, restorative & walking meetings improve creative resolution.
- Create an end of day ritual, for me I like to go outside & watch the sun set. Other suggestions include, turning off the power in the office at the wall, pushing in the chair, closing the door, tidying the area or desk & taking shoes off if you wear them at home.
- Set up an alter where you are working, on the desk, in your pocket… this last one is more like a crystal in your pocket, perhaps hematite which is great for meetings. It can be small like the photo at the top, this is off my desk, I use the oil blend to stay aware & present [its a 888 signature blend called 528 Miracle, email us here to place your order, a light citrus scent with uplifting qualities to brighten your mood, $30 excl gst. & delivery via AusPost]. Feathers are in here as I collect them & have birds in my yard outside the window near my desk, they also represent freedom, crystals of course, they are placed around my home & office. The pendulums are here for client work & they recharge as they rest. The dish is placed on the left top corner of the desk, for abundance.
- Remember to take lunch breaks. Proper nourishment & stepping away from the screen increases productivity & diminishes fatigue.
- Get up & dance or stretch for your 15 minute break. This is usually what I will do around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, refreshing my brain & stretching out of seated desk position as well as waking up the brain.
- Be brave & if you need to move furniture or change the layout of the lounge room to make it work for you & kids to have comfortable breathing space, do it… I rearranged recently as a housemate is now working from home & I wanted more space as more of us are in house daily.
- If the room is dim put the light on at the start of your work day & then switch off at night as part of end of work day. This can include the kids as a que for asking to interrupt with ‘excuse me’ & as an okay now my time is yours at the end of the day, in their minds.
- Get dressed, not necessarily pj’s. Casual is fine, but not that casual that you end up going back to bed 😴
- If your part of a team, use group chats to stay in touch & keep information flowing for keeping timelines & feeling integrated like at the office.
- Stay organised, this can be 5 minutes at the end of the day to tidy the desk, or look at what you need to schedule & put it in the diary. Minimising stress here is a great way to not feel behind the ball.
- Drink water.
Crystals that support work, meetings & lowering EMF’s.
- Hematite. Good for meetings, financial & legal matters.
- Clear Quartz. Focus & staying clear headed.
- Lapis Lazuli. Great for esteem, consideration & being treated well.
- Amazonite. Great for women in business.
- Citrine. The merchants stone.
- Obsidian. In the car for courier drivers, cab drivers or if you travel a lot for work.
- Banded Agate. Supports finances, can be carried in purse, wallet or pocket.
- Chrysophase. Good for difficult climates in regards to office politics.
- Flourite. Decreasing pressure & increasing clear thinking.
- Moonstone. Uplifting to the mood, allows hope.
A couple of extras, I like to burn incense or have a humidifier on with essential oils to support feeling calm & focused. Set it up how it works, function over form, it needs to work more than look perfect. Sending you good working from home vibes.